Tuesday 17 May 2011

Hot Mixture

Garam Masala (Hot Mixture) is a blend of 5 to 7 different whole spices ground into a powder. It’s a key ingredient to Indian cooking and adds flavour and colour to any dish. People tend to sprinkle it over the dish, just at the end, though it can be used early in the cooking process. Available in all good Indian grocery shops, there are many brands and qualities to choose from or make it yourself at home.

I remember making one with around 20 different whole spices roasted in a large wok until fumes filled the kitchen, the smoke alarm went off and I couldn’t see what I was doing because my eyes were burning from the intoxicating incense! After the spices cooled down, I ground them in a coffee grinder, sieved and bottled to use in all my favourite dishes; believe me it was a potent mixture!

To make Garam Masala yourself, try this typical mixture, grind them in a coffee grinder until finely ground and use:
 1 tsp Black peppercorns
3 pcs Cassia Bark
1 tsp Cloves
2 Black Cardamoms (seeds only)
1 tsp Whole Coriander Seeds
1 tsp Black Cumin
3 pcs Whole Red Chilli